- Public Works
- Animal Control
Notice from Animal Control Officer
As of January 1, 2011, a dog license runs concurrently with rabies vaccinations. Feel free to contact me at my email address or by phone between 8 am and 9 am at 276-452-1325.
Animal Control Officer
To report animal bites, stray dogs, or animal cruelty, or for information regarding pet adoption contact Jake Dougherty. To report animal bites you may also contact:
- Scott County Health Department
112 Beech Street
Gate City, VA 24251
- Phone: 276-386-1312
- Fax: 276-386-2116
State law requires that all dogs and cats be vaccinated for rabies.
- State law requires that adopted dogs be sterilized within 30 days of adoption.
- There are no fees associated with adoption.
- Out-of-state adoptions must be spayed or neutered before leaving the state.
- Scott County Animal Control does not pick up cats.
- Stray dogs are held for a minimum of 6 days before disposition. Dogs are held for a minimum of 10 days if they are wearing identification.
- Dog license
- $5 per 1-year
- $10 per 3-year
- Kennel license:
- $100 per year for 20 to 50-pound dogs
- $200 per year for 50 pounds and over
- Kennel fee for impounded dogs - $13.00/First day ; $3.00/each day after
- All dogs kept in Scott County must have a license.
- Dog licenses can be obtained at the Treasurer's Office located in the Scott County Courthouse and from participating veterinarians.
- You must have proof of rabies vaccination to purchase a dog license.